Thursday, December 13, 2012

2012 Year End Review & Journey


2012 Year in Review & Journey


 

Ok, so you would think that 2012 (last year of the world and all) that I perhaps could consider taking it easy, slow down, rest and even have a simple path of less resistance – NOT!!! A very dear man in Ohio told me many times, “Getting’ Old ain’t for Sissy’s” Oh he is so right …

2011 ended as many of you know with my experiences in Santa Fe, NM and a result of closing the Studio & Gallery in Ohio. I must say that the energy, serenity of path (thus Journey) took me to places and people I treasure and will always keep dear to my heart.

In New Mexico, I discovered both good & bad in my travels as with most places. The balance of each only over diversity and learning. The housing environment and economy in Santa Fe was less than desirable though. The unrealistic expense and economic abuse that I saw tore at my heart. Everywhere homeless people would gather in the streets and tents only to be herded off to the mountains not to be seen by the tourists. Yet at the same time, the eclectic support, artistic energy and spiritual atmosphere was unparalleled to any place I have ever been. Some would say that the melting pot, the weather, the landscape, Mother Earth – Father Sky was a Mayan or Higher Plain of understanding that only surfaces in such a place of Divine awareness? I as an observer, witness and participant can only agree with all who would allow themselves to experience the power of what truly exists, New Mexico is Blessed! I will and have adopted Santa Fe as my spiritual second home only to return too late …

In my associations with Canyon Road, Ed Larson and so many other talented people, I was able to display and hang artistry that I created in both workshops and studio. A studio space available through the SFCC Arts & Design, I began to create a limited amount of watercolors under the Mentorship, Friendship and care of Braldt Bralds – www.braldtbraldsstudio.com . A genius in his own right, his wife and I shared a Divinci Theatre production in the Plaza only to realize a restriction of vision for Braldt. I felt much empathy and only dreamed of being as Graceful, Instructional and patient as I witnessed his direction in teaching me a technique of Gouache & Watercolor application, thank you kind Sir …






As time moved along I found myself in talks about Norma Jean’s Sun as a potential film project. I am delighted to say that entire still remains in place and yet to develop in full. However, as players have come & gone, a few of us remain strong and look forward to the screenplay in reality soon. The book now in its 3rd year of print has been recorded forever in place as the #1 Downloaded eBook on Amazon Kindle on four separate occasions – I am beyond words and humbly grateful at that gift … In honor of the 3 year anniversary, that very same download is free again for a limited time – Bless You !


 

As my stay in Santa Fe began to move along, I found myself bouncing from one location to another due to financial restrictions of an exaggerated rental market. The offerings are both in part for home owners who are suffering and greed. I found a couple simple arrangements and the people involved are dear to me forever, but in full – Santa Fe is overpriced and unrealistically still living in a 2006 economy. I discovered perhaps what a “Bohemian” lifestyle feels like, and I didn’t like it too well…

Yet my artistry pulls me to create something inspired by a voice and observation – “Damn, all the Houses & Building here look like Toast” !!! J A lovely person says to me, Hmmmmmm??? How can I take that Idea and make it into a benevolent artwork to raise funds for a local charity & where oh might I display that – Answer: Over Easy, Santa Fe – 2012



As an act of benevolence and support to a local charity, I was drawn to create a representation of the town and display it proudly to sell. After presenting, “The Pantry on Cerrillos” – www.pantrysantafe.com boldly places the painting in the front room for an extended period. This painting was to be sold for donation and although the purchase price was never recognized, it now has found a home of appreciation and support in a private collection in Ohio. The artistry and reflection of toast remains …

Having gone to New Mexico for Film, Study, Promotion, Creativity and peace all of which happened, it was time for me to return economically to a place of rebuild and stability. In method, I too announced the authoring of my second book – “The Unbroken Path” and a possible release date. Ooops, writer’s mistake 101, lesson learned! Although I have much of a draft finished, I am far away from putting it together and will have to rely on my desires to push through this block. But the place of rest would come in a location I once researched on a number of times prior, Paducah Kentucky.



About 3 years ago, I research Paducah for what they called the “Artist Relocation Program”. I won’t go into great detail of criticism or description, but I will say that the common sense application, the financial reality made absolutely no sense then or now. It was not anything I wished to participate in. However, many of the blithe buildings in the area did get updated, it makes everything “look” like an artist community and that gathered my attention. When I returned again prior to Santa Fe, I came back to look at this area with a more living point of view. Because of a very well organized Technical College environment, School of Arts and affordable low cost river tourist town, Paducah does offer a method of means to live cheap. I have sincere empathy for the struggle our economy imposes upon many and yet at the same time, that offers an opportunity. That’s what has happen here, I can live in a safer area than prior and lower cost without the penalty of greed and abuse by systemic rules or conditions, that price has already been paid by those before. I am witnessing a movement here that through the School of Arts, will perhaps in 7-10 years generate affordable housing in the area by returning these structures to studio apartments, workable solutions for struggling artist, abandoned buildings utilized for real artwork space and collection of students that will someday create an authentic art community in Paducah that is not censored or controlled by limited economic perspectives. Until then, my humble home given by the Grace of God and a serendipitous moment will serve as a Studio & Gallery.




As an inaugural painting, I wished to create a path of interaction that went beyond the novelty of a fireplug – FEMO ! Yeah, FEMO is a little guy with a fan page, followers and a smile J Through the local program offered, I found myself offering an olive branch or perhaps being extended. In doing so, I was grateful and proud to help the Lowertown bring smiles to others. The real purpose of Art & creativity is for others, benevolence of gift. Not to sell “artist to artist”, to hustle for the local show, to gather in philosophy or be distinguished – But to offer an inspiration to the audience that can find themselves, their identity or fears, to engage another spiritual being in this human experience!

That is what “Phoenix” was intended to present, and so it was … As the Guardian Family Services witnessed for the first time, each victim found empathy, grace, forgiveness and ascending characteristics that moved them in the moment. I am overwhelmed in humility when I am present as people view it for the first time. Phoenix is due to be raffled off during the Lowertown Arts & Music Festival in my home / gallery – CC Gallery on May 18th, 2013. This painting has given me new energy and inspiration to create again, to write, to share, to give you my soul for observation and allow my talents coupled with visions, to become part of your world. Thank you for allowing me that gift, a place I respect and honor.



And this is where you bring me on my Journey, your place, your heart, your love and care for me. I have traveled now for almost two years, never unpacked my toiletry bag till 4 weeks ago! I have eaten breakfast with Sam Elliot, had dinner with Julia Cameron (she makes the BEST Pies), talked my book with Ali McGraw, Alex, Debbie, Jackie, David and Beverly, Sterling and all the others I have forgotten to mention that have now altered my life. I have Mentored with a Master Artist again, instructed others, member of institutions, organizations and affiliations that march my life as an artist to another step beyond where I came from yesterday. I have witnessed the night sky as never before seen from a spa in the mountains, snow from a desert, and chocolate cake in Madrid; A dust storm in the morning, a taco in the afternoon, a Symphony of night. A plaza array of talent, a moment of render in human strife, an hour of suffering, a drive of wonder across this great country I so cherish. All in a way that only has been possible because you are with me. By circumstance or fate, today’s gift has only a small imprint of my next step and with your support, I’m confident I can express freedom of my love through a word, and gesture of kindness perhaps or simply a drop of color. I pray you’re able to pause and view in delight …

 

God Bless & Happy Holidays

Kris

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep content and detail related to Norma Jean's Sun and subjects associated. Thank you...