Monday, May 16, 2011

Author James Frey returns to Oprah

A Million Little Lies?

It was five years ago that James Frey was shamed on air by Oprah Winfrey for exaggerating parts of his bestselling book, A Million Little Pieces. Frey will be returning to face the music this month on the last season of The Oprah Winfrey Show.
Many people, including Oprah Winfrey herself, were touched by James Frey’s story of substance abuse in his memoir A Million Little Pieces. In fact, Oprah loved it so much she picked it for her book club in 2005 which turned it instantly into a bestseller.

James Frey on Oprah
Oprah

Frey went on the show in 2006 to admit that portions of his book were not completely true, including his three-month jail term and having dental surgery without novocaine. "In order to get through the experience of the addiction, I thought of myself as being tougher than I was and badder than I was, and it helped me cope," Frey told Oprah Winfrey during the show. "And when I was writing the book, instead of being as introspective as I should have been, I clung to that image."

"I feel duped," Oprah said, as audience members booed Frey. "But more importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers."

Oprah later called Frey to apologize for her demeanor, however, his reputation has never recovered from the incident.

Now, on Oprah’s last season of her talk show, she will have Frey back in a two-episode interview airing May 16 and May 17 to discuss what Oprah calls "the biggest controversy in Oprah show history."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep content and detail related to Norma Jean's Sun and subjects associated. Thank you...