Thursday, June 2, 2011

5 Star Book Review - "Best I have Read"

Norma Jean's Sun: True Story (Paperback)

I have read this book twice now, as I frequently do with stories that move me. The first time I was so overcome with the depth of despair and the self destructive behavior of the writer, that I didn't fully grasp the depth of the love he was shown by some of his family members and the ultimate enlightenment he experienced. The second reading drew me completely into his world and the roller coaster ride that has been his life. I felt my own heart aching at the accounting of his mother's passing. I smiled at the successes and the happy encounters he experienced. I felt frustration at the waste of potential. I find myself longing for a final chapter that tells of a happy, pain free, fulfilling life. One that I expect will never come.

The accounting was very frank, not holding back on details that one would generally not want to admit to. The story held my attention and I found it difficult to put the book down for the few short breaks I took. The pictures added a personal touch, and while I would have preferred to see captions, I felt like I could guess who the subjects were and felt more attached to the characters as a result.

I found myself wanting more details and a more cohesive story, but I am more a fan of fiction, so this is a somewhat unfamiliar genre for me. As memoirs go, this is one of the best I have read. I may read it again sometime.

Norma Jean's Sun, Memoir by Kris Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep content and detail related to Norma Jean's Sun and subjects associated. Thank you...